VIDEO/DVD COLLECTION POLICY
The Hennessey Public Library will maintain a videotape/DVD collection of movies, documentaries, and visual information of educational and/or artistic merit.
I. DETERMINATION OF MERIT
POLICY STATEMENT: Library staff will give priority to the purchase of award-winning materials as determined by recognized authorities in the entertainment industry or educational field, such as the American Film Institute(AFI), the National Education Association (NEA), the Oklahoma Education Association (OEA), the American Library Association (ALA), and others.
II. HUTOKA ORTMAN COLLECTION
POLICY STATEMENT: The Hutoka Ortman Memorial Film Collection will consist of the American Film Institute 100 Best Movies.
1. Town budget, State Aid, and Special Library budget monies will be used to purchase a number of AFI videos until the collection is complete.
2. Defective or missing videos from this collection will be replaced to maintain the memorial.
III. FIRST-RUN MOVIES
POLICY STATEMENT: The Library will welcome donations of current movie titles; however, to avoid duplication of resources with the local video store, purchases of first-run movies will be given low priority.
IV. "R" RATED VIDEOS
POLICY STATEMENT: The Library will purchase or accept donation of "R" rated movies only when the film has compelling artistic merit. This merit shall be determined by the following criteria:
1. Artistic merit as determined by professional consensus evidenced in such documents as reviews, journal endorsements, awards, peer recommendation, inclusion in recognized collections or anthologies, et al.
2. Classic status as evidenced by reinterpretive presentations in a variety of media over a number of generations.
3. Historical value.
4. Insight into human or social conditions.
5. Literary or educational application.
6. Inclusion in the lifetime body of work of an acclaimed film professional.
Parents or guardians who have signed a juvenile patron card have the right to restrict their child's borrowing of "R" rated film.
1. "R" rated videos on the AFI 100 Best Film list will be purchased.
2. On parental request, library staff will enter a blocking message or blocking code in the juvenile patron's computerized account.